Saturday 3 January 2009

Happy New Year!

I just got back to Beijing from California. The end of last term seems ages ago, but I will try and remember...

I had a couple of Christmas parties; firstly, with my football team on a Saturday night, at our sponsor's bar, where we had a four course dinner and all-you-can-drink beer. It was a great night; first I won a new pair of boots in the raffle; second, and more importantly, we had the annual A's v B's drinking boat race. It was hugely anticipated and exciting, and we claimed the victory when the last player on our team, a notoriously slow drinking French guy, tipped his pint over his head to claim the victory! Hilarious. We are on winter break now which is a bit rubbish but I am finally going to join the gymn and I am due to play some indoor 5-a-side, so should keep fit.

The following day we had a staff Christmas party at school, where two colleagues bravely volunteered to cook a full Christmas dinner for about 90 guests. I helped serve drinks on the bar and played some music; it was a really nice social occasion with colleagues but without students. It was also an occasion where we started with mulled wine around midday, moved onto wine and beer with lunch, followed that with champagne and ended with whisky and brandy provided by the head, so it all ended very merrily!

Finally, in the last week of term, I was heavily involved in the end-of-term, whole school carol concert, in which, at 24 hours notice, I was required to conduct the whole thing, as my head of dept had to coordinate groups off and on etc. I also sang in two of the numbers. It was actually quite nerve wracking, but a good opportunity to show the head my worth, and it went really well. I have been offered the chance to stay for a second year in China, to take my PGCE here, with a good salary, so I am spending lots of time this coming month deciding what to do next year.

After the end of term I headed to California, where I have been the last two weeks. I flew into San Francisco, spent about four days driving with my family down the spectacular coastline, through to Los Angeles, where I spent Christmas, New Year and, on the 27th, attended my brother's wedding, where I gave a best man's speech. It was a fantastic occasion and a great fortnight. We also went to Disneyland and Six Flags, saw Hollywood and lots of famous sights, played golf at Pebble Beach, visited Hearst Castle and Monterey Aquarium, and much more. I met lots of my new inlaws, all of whom were awesome. I got back early Saturday morning, and start work again Monday morning.

So it's been a good few weeks; will hopefully know more about next year by the end of January (that is my New Year's resolution!). Hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas and New Year.

No comments: