Saturday 29 November 2008

Half Term & Hong Kong

I've been so busy, hence the long time between posts. Apologies.

A couple of weeks ago, now, we had half term, so I used the time to try and see a bit more of Beijing. I got out to the Great Wall with lots of people from school, which was fantastic. We went to a section on top of a mountain, so took a cable car up. We walked along it for a few hours, taking innumerable shots of effectively the same photo! To get down they have built a toboggan chute, so you sit on a little car and control how fast you go down! Awesome. I also went to a Chinese acrobat show, which incredible - some of the feats of strength, balance, dexterity etc were unbelievable. I discovered the student-y area of Beijing, which has a really cool feel to it, and lots of great bars, restaurants and markets. One favourite bar runs beer pong every thursday night, it's a totally Western crowd. A friend and I went along and played and had a great night.

On Friday of half term, with term due to restart on tuesday, the headmaster's secretary rang me, at about 2pm, and asked if I could go to Hong Kong, to sort out my visa. At 6am, the following morning. So 18 hours later I was flying to Hong Kong! With my flatmate, Louise, who had similar issues. We couldn't go to the visa office until Monday morning, so I met up with one of my housemates from uni, Owen, who is my Asia buddy and is working in Hong Kong, and we had a crazy weekend! Went up to survey Hong Kong from The Peak (highest point in Hong Kong), took a ferry between islands, saw the Temple of 10,000 Buddhas, went out to the beach, went to a bar where they give you fur coats n you stand in a freezer....and so much more! Fantastic weekend. Spent ridiculous amounts (Hong Kong is expensive!). Great times.

Since then have been working pretty long hours; the choir at school had their big concert this week so have been rehearsing like crazy. It went really well, and I was called on stage and presented with wine, which was really nice. There's no rest though - Christmas carol concert in two weeks, so it's going to be busy 'til the end. Last week should be full of parties n stuff which I am looking forward to. Three weeks to California!

I have been thinking a lot about what to do next year. The headmaster implied if I wanted to stay they'd like me to, and I could even take a PGCE whilst working here, but I'm not going to (though it was nice to be offered!). Am thinking of coming home n settling in London, either to do a PGCE, or another year's study, conversion course in languages or economics. I change my mind every day!

Off to watch England get battered at rugby later! Playing football tomorrow, it may be the penultimate match before the winter break. Beijing is cold right now. Cycling to school in the morning, it's in the minus temperatures. Brrr.

Peace out. x

No comments: